About the Authors of 50 Hurdles: Business Transition Simplified
Ian R. Campbell, FCPA, FCA, FCBV
President, Business Transition Counsel Inc.
Ian R. Campbell is a graduate of Western University’s Ivey Business School and is a Fellow of both the Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario and the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators. He is the author of several business valuation texts, most recently The Valuation of Business Interests (2001), and the principal author of the family business transition planning book 50 Hurdles: Business Transition Simplified (2014). He is a past director of several publicly and privately held corporations.
Ian first offered business valuation advisory services in Canada in 1969. From 1972 to 1976 he headed the business valuation practice of one of Canada’s largest public accounting firms. In 1976 he founded Toronto-based Campbell Valuation Partners Limited, one of Canada’s foremost independent business valuation consultancies. Ian currently offers family business transition planning and business valuation advice through Business Transition Counsel Inc.
The Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators recognizes Ian’s contribution to the Canadian business valuation profession through its annual funding of the Ian R. Campbell Research Initiative.
Since 1969, Ian has:
- Been instrumental in developing the practice of business valuation consulting in Canada through participating in the founding of the Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators, and through his writing and lecturing
- Advised hundreds of Canadian business owners and their professional advisors with respect to business valuation, family business transition planning and business sales and acquisitions
- Successfully testified in business valuation matters before Canadian courts in appraisal/oppression remedy shareholder dispute matters, in income tax cases and in cases dealing with Canadian securities law
- Interacted with and rendered business valuation and transition advice to a large cross-section of family business owners who have successfully transitioned their businesses through two or more generations
- Ian now speaks and writes regularly on the topic of family business transition planning and business valuation
See Business Transition Simplified for topical news, discussion posts, expert Q&A, and consulting and speaking engagements related to family business transition planning and business valuation.
H. Christopher Nobes, HBA, CPA, CA, CBV
Managing Director, Campbell Valuation Partners Ltd., Toronto, Canada
Chris Nobes is a graduate of Western University’s Ivey Business School and is a Chartered Professional Accountant and Chartered Business Valuator. He is a contributing editor of the periodical Canada Valuation Service (Thomson-Carswell) and regularly speaks on business valuation and related topics. Chris reviewed final drafts of the family business transition book 50 Hurdles: Business Transition Simplified and made a number of valuable suggestions and editorial changes to it.
Chris joined Campbell Valuation Partners Limited in 1997. He co-owns that firm following its transition completed in 2013. In 2005 Chris co-founded Veracap M&A International Inc., a Toronto-based mid-market corporate finance and merger and acquisition advisory firm.
Since 1997 Chris has rendered business valuation to Canadian and international private and public companies and their shareholders, has advised in Canadian shareholder disputes of varying sizes and complexities and has acted as intermediary in the purchase and sale of privately held companies to both related-party and third-party acquirers – see Campbell Valuation Partners Limited.